Thursday 20 October 2016

Work Life Balance - Alex Huckle

Whilst researching my inquiry I have also been observing my brother (newly graduated after 4 years of intense study) I have gained his permission to blog my findings and have observed a dramatic change within his sense of wellbeing during and after his study.
It is interesting to compare these findings to my profession and industry and I feel that our wellbeing can be impaired if we are deemed under achieving.

The past four years of my brother’s life have been to most challenging, productive and at stressful times, a degree in design and Ergonomics has required dedication and determination to complete modules with at times, unrealistic deadlines. Upon reflection these timescales have developed my brother’s ability to prioritise his work and dedicate most of his time to his study. During his years of study I have witnessed him coming home during Christmas and Easter, working through the bank holidays, compromising ‘family time’ just to meet his deadlines. I recall him coming to stay with me in Plymouth last Christmas to watch my show. He set up his laptop, books and modules within his hotel room and worked every day whilst we as a family spent time together. He was so disciplined that he would stop working in the evening to catch up with us all.

As a family, this had a huge impact on our dynamics, my parents felt guilty at times for not being able to help my brother to free up some of his time, they watched him become extremely tired and anxious. Whilst, he on the other hand felt frustrated that he had to detach himself from us in order to stay on track to meet his deadlines.

The next few months up to final submission proved extremely challenging and sleep deprivation, travelling to and from University to complete user testing research and design work prototyping within the workshops. This was followed by presentations and a wait for his final grading. All of the above factors impacted hugely on his wellbeing describing himself as ‘emotionally drained’ and exhausted. The sense of relief came after his final submission, he described sleeping for a whole day to recuperate, which seemed to be a common practice after each submission of work. (Work life balance totally compromised during this time)

‘Design Week’ concluded his degree and enabled all graduates to display their final project work. The University invited the public and Industry professionals to celebrate their achievements giving the graduates a pathway to network with potential employers. My brother describes a feeling of achievement and a feeling of worth, that all of his studies had been worthwhile. In June he graduated with a First Class honours degree!

New challenges became apparent, moving back home after 4 years, enabled my brother to  rest and recuperate, taking time out to see his friends, go on holiday and regulate his sleeping Pattern. His ‘work life balance‘  reversed from all work to no work, this in its self-played a huge part of his wellbeing being compromised. Without full time employment and only taking on part time work he was limited to the amount of social activities that he could take part in. His fellow graduates began to embark upon their professional careers therefore feelings of anxiety and loss of direction began to enter his thoughts. Being at home all day allowed time to apply for jobs, create a portfolio and help around the house. There was a sense of despair about his student debt and questioning himself about the past 4 years of study being worth while. These few weeks I observed my brother start to be indecisive, doubting his own judgement and become very irritable. After applying for a number of jobs interview offers filtered into his inbox. This gave him the encouragement and incentive to prep for his interviews securing him a job within the field that he has studied with scope to develop and expand his career. Finally it seems that he has found the perfect  ’work life balance’ and a job that challenges him, very little travel and an ability to maintain and finance a social life. All of these factors contribute to a good sense of well being.
Although my brother’s experiences were not related to the Performing Arts Industry, I can relate to his behaviours and thought process during and after his study. My thoughts were parable to his when I had been unsuccessful in numerous castings and recalls. I too questioned by training, its worth and the ability to achieve the career I had worked so hard for. My wellbeing affected my mental health, doubting my own ability. Persistence to audition and move onto the next casting, built up my self-esteem improving my mindset.

Within my profession I am starting to conclude that work life balance cannot be an evenly split between work, relationships and social time. My industry dictates working many unsociable hours and work life balance can be achieved if the important people in your life respect this and work around me to help achieve a manageable ‘work life balance’ and good sense of wellbeing.


No comments:

Post a Comment