Monday 24 October 2016

The Efficiency of Pop-ups - Literature Review

‘The Efficiency of Pop-ups’

Authors:
Dr Jon Dodd
Robert Stevens

Date Published:
January 2003

The company Bunnyfoot, which was founded in 1999, focuses on UK UX Consultancy, usability and customer experience.

By conducting further research within the purpose of pop ups in advertising, Bunnyfoot has identified attitudes towards these methods and the possible perception of the website, advertiser and observer.

Their experts conducted tasks where by 36 participants viewed two comparable websites. This observation presented ‘a strong sense of dislike for pop-up ads’ (Dodd J, Stevens R 2003). Due to this factor, participants expressed a sense of dislike regarding the website and brand owner.

One participant informed that,

‘There is nothing more annoying than adverts popping up…. It’s enough to make me leave a site’ (Scott, IT Professional)

I agree with this view point as even though on various social media e.g. Facebook I will sometimes be enticed and view certain pop-ups, this generation especially I am bombarded and swamped with advertisements and pop-ups. Some of which are not accurate and biased. However I do not have a complete disliking to all Pop-ups within social media as I use them regularly within my industry. Examples include,

·      Audition/casting details
·      Friends involved within shows (Castlists)
·      New shows and their locations
·      General Information (shows, choreography, directors etc)
(pop up ads are like) ‘…interrupting somebody… (they) divert your attention away from what you want to pay your attention to’ (Lisa, PA)

The major findings produced by this research were:
  • ·      50% of adds were closed before the add finished loading
  • ·      35% of adds were ignored completely
  • ·      There were no positive comments about pop-ups from any of the 36 users tested
  • ·      Users feel like their intelligence is being tested because of the suggestion that they cannot find what they are looking for
  • ·      Users are frustrated by adverts which appear in the centre of the screen or obstruct information because they are an unwanted interruption


‘I never click through pop-ups… I regard them as an irritation’ (Jack, Architect)

This research has presented that there are apposing opinions regarding pop-ups and advertisement within social media. This observation also shows the opinion of individuals working within other fields. These feelings expressed are conflicting to the opinions of various participants within the Performing Arts Industry that were interviewed. Rather than observing a pop up as a resourceful, informative source to understand and learn about their industry, the concept is know betrayed as an obstructive irritation.


‘I find pop-ups generally annoying because they come into my life whether I want them or not. I almost ignore what they are about…most times I kill it before it has delivered its message’ (Mark, student)

Even though this scheme of research has projected predominantly negative thoughts regarding Pop-ups, previous research has proved contradictory as some users find that Pop-ups have a competitive role within marketing. 


This piece of literature has proved incredibly resourceful regarding my Inquiry, delving and exploring further in to the sub-heading, Media and Technology.  From sectioning my inquiry into 4 sub-headings I have been able to research certain subjects thoroughly thus evaluating their significance within the topic of Wellbeing. From reviewing this source I have identified new opinions, both negative and positive. Some beliefs defer to my interview findings however the same key words have been highlighted from various findings. As well as within my industry this text explores the views of people outside of my work field which has given me a broader perspective of the purpose of Pop-ups. For example, as a performer I do find selected Pop-ups/advertisements very useful and beneficial towards my career and industry, however many individuals outside my industry believe that they are irrelevant, obtrusive and annoying.

I can relate to individuals who are against Pop-ups/advertisements as they are over-powering the web and are in some cases completely irrelevant, off topic containing false or inaccurate information. I do believe that they have impacted my industry in both negative and positive ways:

POSITIVE =
They can provide me with information regarding auditions or casting details and the concept had made everyone more aware of the importance of fitness and health. Therefore we can gain knowledge from certain Pop-ups/advertisement.

NEGATIVE=
They overcrowd the internet and are a nuisance to web surfers. They can presents false or biased information about fitness, health or nutrition thus distorting the truth and tricking web surfers.










No comments:

Post a Comment