Tuesday 4 October 2016

'How to Research' (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight M. 2012) Literature Research

'How to Research' (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight M. 2012)
Literature Research

Throughout Module 2 I explored the book, 'How to Research, Fourth Edition' (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010) through my Middlesex Unihub Reading List. I had read a couple of chapters that I felt were relevant to my Module 2 work and found this book resourceful and interesting to read. (I have previous blogs with quotes from this piece of literature)

http://hucklebethany.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/module-2-reader-6-tools-of-professional.html

Due to being away from home, without access to my computer or Unihub I decided to purchase this book from Amazon. This meant that I could read and explore this source whilst travelling into London and within any breaks throughout the day.

Commencing my reading I scanned the contents page to identify which chapters of the literature were relevant, answering any queries or unclear topics/subjects. I decided to focus on these specific subheadings within 'How to Research',

  • Why am I doing this research?
  • Thinking about methods
  • Coping with research literature
  • The Literature Review
The aim for my Blog is to highlight and present the sections within this book that have assisted and developed my knowledge regarding my Inquiry Research, Analysis and Presentation. This book has proven to be extremely resourceful giving me the knowledge to commence Module 3 with a clear and structured mind and focus. I would recommend anyone who does have an action packed lifestyle away from home and who are on the BAPP Course to buy and explore this source!




Why am I doing this Research?

This section of the source focuses on the reasoning behind our Inquiry Research. The first quote that pulled my focus was, 'Think about your reasons for doing your project' (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 11). When brainstorming Inquiry topics and even selecting literature to research this quote will prevent me from getting lost in my literature research, by select the appropriate subjects and sources that are relevant to my learning and professional Inquiry.

Originality of my research is one aspect of my Inquiry that hadn't crossed my mind, however it is critical that unless you are copying someone else's earlier research, your findings are original in some way. Read, (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 14) Box 1.5 which discusses 'Fifteen definitions of originality' to explore further into this subject area!

Ethically this literature highlights the importance of approving your Inquiry Plan within my University, as I could be withdrawn mid-way through the BAPP Course if a certain code of conduct is not followed. These bodies will want to insure that I am aware and understand the ethical implications of my Inquiry.

'You owe a duty to yourself as a researcher, as well as to the other researchers and to the subjects and audiences for your research, to exercise responsibility in the process of data collection, analysis and dissemination' (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 161)

'You will be required to adhere to a broader set of values and ways of proceeding, regardless to whether your research is organisationally based or not.'  (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 14)
It is very easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of research and therefore not focus on ethical considerations, however it is vital that this aspect is thought about whilst analysing research!

COMMON ETHICAL ISSUES

Throughout Module 3 I will consider these common ethical issues that may occur within my Inquiry:

  • CONFIDENTIALITY - Not using material that has been kept confidential and private
  • ANONYMITY - (Linked with confidentiality) E.g. Disguising participant's identity
  • PROFESSIONALISM - Abiding to a code of conduct within your profession
  • PARTICIPATION - Who are the participants? Are they apart or in cooperation with your project?

Whilst researching, the concept of Critical Reflection must be used to, 'ensure their research is conducted in as open and transparent a way as possible in terms of its intentions, methodology, analysis and findings'  (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 15). I must always be aware to not let my opinions overpower but balance the beliefs of the research participant.


Thinking about methods

Within Module 2 I explored a variety of different research techniques and now have to carry out methods that will suit my project. Even though these research skills will be used throughout my professional Inquiry I will also develop the knowledge to use these methods in everyday life.

My research is categorised under ACTION RESEARCH,

'A knowledge-generation process that produces insights both for the researchers and the participants' (Greenwood and Levin 1998: 50)

Action Research is a popular method amongst smaller social researchers, particularly those who work in areas such as education, health and social care. It's well suited to the needs of people who are conducting research within their workplace, and who focus on improving aspects of their own and their colleagues practice.

Even though I am not revolving my Inquiry around an organisation or company I am basing it upon the Performing Arts Industry. By choosing a topic that I already am interested in I wish for this project to develop my own and other's perspective of Wellbeing within my industry.

Every Inquiry is different therefore some methods may be suitable for certain projects therefore,
'The only thing we can do is try to make explicit the characteristics on which the various approaches are based' (Arbnor and Bjerke 1997: 5, emphasis in original)

By using this tool I will not only be able to identify new information and views upon a certain question, I will also be able to highlight and discuss the overall impact of the situation and what can be learnt from it.

I have defined a criteria for my research whilst exploring the views of Hart and Bond 1995:37-8,

  • Assure that it is educative
  • Involves a cyclic process in which research, action and evaluation are interlinked
  • Aims at improvement and involvement
As I am using interviewing as a main researching method I found this statement incredibly resourceful,

'Your views may have been shaped by what you have read. This will affect the way in which you ask questions, of people or of documents, and the significance you attach to their answers, It will also affect who or what you ask, using your contacts or networks, and the ways in which your questions are answered'(Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 84)

When creating my interview questions I took into consideration the type of questions I wish to ask, assuring that they are not focused on particularly sensitive issues that may affect a participants state of mind. However I hadn't thought about the way in which I compose myself within an interview.

'There is a need be aware of your influence on your research, and to be as open as you can in recording and recognising these affects' (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 84)

Coping with research literature

Concerns that I have already faced in Module 2 that are discussed in 'How to Research' are:

  1. Volume of material - The huge variety of literature written on my Inquiry topic which is expanding every day!
  2. Lack of boundaries - Struggling to identify which sources are relevant within a huge selection of literature

I have managed to overcome these challenges but I am still quite intimidated at times regarding the amount of literature available. To battle this obstacle I will always think of my final goal, my final submission, and what sources are resourceful and appropriate.

Blaxter, Hughes and Tight suggests to,
'Set reasonable and limited targets, and remember that you cannot expect to do everything' (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 128)
Before reading this statement I felt pressurised to read as much literature as I could rather than limiting the amount of sources I reviewed. By taking this statement into consideration I will be able to clearly structure my literature review allowing enough time to analyse my sources in greater detail.


WHAT DO I READ?? This question is forever in my mind whilst commencing Module 3. 'How to research' suggests to explore a variety of literature such as:

  • Books
  • Journals
  • Reports
  • Popular Media
  • Online Materials
By reading a range of sources I will 'encounter a range of views and forms of presentation within the different kinds of  writing appropriate to my topic'  (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 103)

WHOM TO READ??

  • Whom you are reading?
  • Where they are coming from?
  • How authoritative a voice they have?
  • What are their motivations in writing?

I wish to use these questions with my chosen literature to stimulate further thinking whilst gaining knowledge about authors that are relevant to my Inquiry.


ASSESSING WHAT I AM READING??

Analysing - Identifying conclusion indicators, 'thus'. 'therefore', 'hens', 'so', to highlight the conclusion or reasoning behind a piece of literature.

Ask 'What is the passage trying to get me to accept or believe?'
Ask 'What reasons, evidence is it using in order to get me to believe this?'
(Thomson 1996: 99-100)


The Literature Review

Before commencing Module 3 the thought of a Literature Review scared me slightly as I was unaware of the meaning or definition of this method. 'How to research' made complete sense of this concept.

'A literature review is a critical summery and assessment of the range of existing material, dealing with knowledge and understanding in a given field' (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 124)

Its essential that I critically assess my findings thus understanding the relation to my Inquiry topic. Allowing myself to compare findings will place my work in the context of what has already been published.

Hart devised a multiple of questions that can be answered from a literature review:

  1. What are the key sources?
  2. What are the key theories, concepts and ideas?
  3. What are the main questions and problems that have been addressed to date?
  4. How is knowledge on the topic structured and organised?
  5. What are the major issues and debated about the topic?
  6. What are the political standpoints?              (Hart 1998: 14)

To conjoin these question I can then ask the concluding question,

How have approaches to these questions increased my understanding and knowledge?

'Good literature reviews go beyond the stage of simply listing sources to offer an analytical study of the area' (Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 124)

WHEN DO I USE REFERENCES!??

During Module 2 referencing within my final submission confused me as I was unaware of the amount I could use within my Proposal or Critical Review.  From reading 'Box 4.18 Use and abuse of referencing' within 'How to research' I have gained new knowledge regarding where I can insert a reference in my writing:

  • Justify and support my arguments
  • Allow myself to make comparisons with other research
  • Express matters better than I could have done so
  • Demonstrate my familiarity with my field of research
(Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 130)

I believe these subheadings covered within this blog are incredibly important especially throughout the first half of Module 3. By thoroughly analysing 'How to research' I feel very confident to commence the final part of my project and feel that I have gained a vast amount of knowledge with regards to research methods, structure, planning, analysis and ethics. Within the next few weeks I plan to create a similar blog which will analyse the latter sections of Module 3 covered within 'How to research' including:

  • Recording Data
  • Shaping Data
  • Analysing Data
  • Writing Up
  • Writing Panics
























2 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany! I remember you speaking about this book in orientation and I NEED to get this. Seems to make so much sense and break the whole inquiry process down. I found your analysis of the interviewing section really interesting. I spoke to Adesola the other day regarding an area of interest and discovered I had quite an emotional attachment to it. I'd conducted a couple of informal interviews/conversations at work as initial research and had perhaps asked leading questions without intending to in order to reflect my opinion. Therefore I found this quote quite resonating,

    'Your views may have been shaped by what you have read. This will affect the way in which you ask questions, of people or of documents, and the significance you attach to their answers, It will also affect who or what you ask, using your contacts or networks, and the ways in which your questions are answered'(Blaxter, L, Hughes, C, Tight, M 2010. p 84)

    Adesola gave a great piece of advice which I think you'd also appreciate when analysing literature or data - "what does this information mean to me?"

    Look forward to more of your posts. Good luck with rehearsals for town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan!
    I can honestly say 'How to Research' has cleared up so many queries and confusions regarding Module 3 work. That is exactly what it does and it is perfect for reading up on smaller sections that hadn't crossed my path of focus throughout my inquiry e.g. safeguarding within interview questions and interview approach. Originally I created an interview template however I also realised that the main bulk of my questions were not balanced thus swaying to my own opinion!

    The concept of staying completely neutral and passive as the interviewer is vital as it can completely ulter and distort our findings.

    I definitely find Adesola's comment valuable as we can use that question as part of our objective when analysing our data!

    Last week and this week I have been aiming to complete as much degree work whether it be new blogs regarding Module 3 progression, research literature, interview preparation and carrying out interviews, before commencing rehearsals next week! Thankyou so much for the message and enjoy your shows!

    How long is Dirty Dancing running for?

    Beth x

    ReplyDelete