Tuesday 11 October 2016

Module 3 / Reader 7 Analysis

READER 7 ANALYSIS

THE LITERATURE REVIEW

Before reading ‘Reader 7’ the Literature Review seemed incredibly daunting, making me feel slightly anxtious to commence the final module of the BAPP Course! Reader 7 has made complete sense that the Literature Review,

‘should show your ability to acquire knowledge about the subject areas that are related to your practice’.
(Reader 7)

To do this I can use ‘expert sources’, such as tutors, mentors  and professionals within my industry to develop a stronger understanding of my Inquiry. The Literature Review is created to build a stronger knowledge of my chosen topics, thus carrying out effective practitioner research.

Throughout Module 1 and 2 I have analysed a range of websites, books, articles and visual & audio-visual sources to use within my inquiry. I have also kept a Journal throughout Module 2 and wish to persue this further within Module 3.

I prefer to find transdisciplinary  knowledge to gain new understanding within my industry. An example of this is researching and analysing further into Zerlina Mastin’s The Nutrition of a Dancer & Hughes, Blaxter and Tight's How to Research. These sources allow me to,

‘define the more abstract terms that you use in your inquiry, such as ‘motivation’ or ‘communication’, in ways that are specific to an area of expertise’
(Reader 7)

I wish to commence 4 interviews, including 2 performers, a mentor and personal trainer/teacher. By sharing other’s experiences I will be able to broaden my overall understanding regarding other practitioner’s views and opinions.

With regards to the literature explored within the review, Hart defines the sources must,

‘fulfil certain aims or express certain views on the nature of the topic and how it is to be investigated, and the effective evaluation of these documents in relation to the research being proposed’
(Hart, 1998, p. 13)

HOW DO I PLAN TO REVIEW MY LITERATURE?

Purposes of a review such as:
·            Distinguishing proven theories & what needs to be done
·            Discovering relevant areas within the topic
·            Identifying Relationships & a new perspective
·            Rationalising the significance of the source
·            Understanding the structure of the subject

,are highlight by Hart as essential objectives within a Literature review.

Within Module 2 I have gathered a variety of sources to use throughout Module 3. Along with new literature research in my final module I will have to whittle them down to 10 – 20 sources. By comparing the significance and the value of the sources I will be able to do this effectively. I will include a variety of literature from websites, books, visual and audio sources to research my inquiry.

As well at the Literature Review, I will also be able to include literature within my CRITICAL REVIEW & APPENDICES if needed.

I may discover my opinion regarding certain sources underpinning my inquiry will agree or differ. By identifying this I may collate new sources after my practitioner research and examining my findings.



HOW DO I KNOW WHAT LITERATURE IS RELEVENT?

Reader 7 highlights a multiple of questions that will assist in understanding the significance of particular piece of text:
  • When was the text written?
  • Who is the author or publisher?
  • Who is the audience target of the text?
  • What is the format/style of the text? Does that have any impact regarding the reading of the text?
  • Where was the text written/produced?
  • What are the assumptions that the author publisher are making and how does this invite the reader to share them?

If I were to analyse an audio/image I would explore:
  • What is being shown?
  • Where is the viewer’s eye drawn to in the image and why?
  • What is the purpose of this image?
  • What use is made of colour?
  • What are the components on the image?
  • Whose knowledge’s are excluded from this representation?
  • Is this a contradictory image?


By using these questions as a researching structure on literature I will be able to analyse and compare my findings efficiently and affectively!



A SWOT & STEP method may prove resourceful within analysing my findings.

S.W.O.T = Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats

S.T.E.P = Social, Technological, Environmental and Political

Whilst continuing to create a Learning/Reflective Journal I wish to analyse my accounts by using this structuring strategy within my diary entries:

1.    Description of the situation
2.    Analysis of the situation considering internal, external, sociological, technological, political and organisational factors
3.    Examination of the logical outcomes of these factors
4.    Rational explanation of the situation and consequent actions to be taken.

PRESENTING DATA AND ANALYSIS?

My main bulk of data will be qualitative as I will be using extracts from my reflective diary/Journal and interviews, presented in summary form and as quotes.

As I am in the beginning sector of Module 3 I have not thought about the method I will use to analyse data however ‘Reader 7’ have explained analysis like a triangle of data’ (Reader 7)

These 3 steps include:

LITERATURE: expertise from others and from a collected body of knowledge in my field and beyond

DATA: findings from your inquiry

EXPERIENCE: relating your insider-researcher understanding


I will be creating a blog regarding ‘How to research’ (Blaxter, Hughes, Tight) as the section of their book highlights a multiple of data handling methods and techniques.


No comments:

Post a Comment