Wednesday 5 October 2016

Module 3 Preparation / Gantt Chart

Module 3 Preparation
Gantt Chart

Within the final sector of Module 2 I had discussed with my tutor the concept of creating a Gantt Chart or some sort of organised timetable for Module 3. Due to starting rehearsals for the West End transfer of 'Half a Sixpence' I realised that by using this planning method I would be able to keep track of my progress and plan around rehearsals and performances. Therefore I decided to design a Gantt Chart based around the final Module of my Inquiry!

WHAT IS A GANT CHART?
  1. 'A chart in which a series of horizontal lines shows the amount of work done or production completed in certain periods of time in relation to the amount planned for those periods.'
     (Wikipedia)

WHO USES THEM?

Gant charts are commonly used within Project Management and used by many Companies and Organisations within their software.

WHY CHOOSE A GANT CHART?

Gantt charts have proven to be incredibly resourceful when planning and structuring a project:

  • CLARITY - Being aware of completed and outstanding tasks to be done. Acknowledging how long I have to completed the tasks and when the deadlines are. The layout of the chart is simple and easily identifiable.
  • MOTIVATION - By creating a Gantt chart it will give me the motivation to complete tasks on time and effectively as you are aware of the Deadline Day. This method will also create a sense of focus.
  • TIME MANAGEMENT - By planning how I will work throughout the next 3 months I will understand how long I have got to complete certain tasks, also knowing how to work around a hectic rehearsal and performance schedule. This prevents me from running out of time within the submission period of Module 3.
The table bellow was originally created to form my Gantt Chart on Microsoft Excel. This table presents the tasks that are completed (green), in progress (yellow) and yet to be started (red).

Task Start Date Days to complete
Module 2 Feedback 26-Sep 13
Module 3 Consent Form 26-Sep 13
Interview Preperation 28-Sep 9
Interviews 06-Oct 19
Blogging 26-Sep 78
Transcripts 24-Oct 19
Literature Research 01-Oct 31
Literature Analysis/Findings 01-Nov 20
Professional Artifact 16-Nov 45
Critical Reflection 21-Nov 45
Oral Presentation 10-Nov 57

Below is my designed Gantt Chart, created from the previous table! The blue bar represents the start date of the task, the red bar projects the duration in which to complete it and the deadline date.


I will predominantly be using this planning method during Module 3 and will hopefully have sufficient time to complete every task thoroughly, to create my Professional Artifact, Critical Reflection and Oral Presentation at the end of the module!











3 comments:

  1. Hi Beth, this looks like such a good idea!! I need something clear and precise like a Gant chart so I can clearly see what needs to be done and when! Was it difficult to make?? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrina,
    I've been revolving my work from my Gantt Chart for just over a week now and I finally feel confident and ready to crack on with Module 3! I am not very skilled when it comes to excel, I watched a tutorial on Youtube which clearly guided me through the process on Excell,

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u_jm1211D4

    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Article was nice Bethany, It reminds me to remember things I know, but tend to forget during my busy day! Thanks! Gantt Chart views allow you see, at a glance, task information in a columns and rows with corresponding bars along a timeline. You can customize the chart part of these views in Project to better suit your needs. Primavera P6 tool really usefull for this process Primavera Course

    ReplyDelete