Thursday 7 April 2016

Module 2: Professional Inquiry Research Food Facts

Module 2: Professional Inquiry Research
Food Facts


Why is Eating Important for Dancers?

Constant rehearsal and performance takes a toll on muscles joints and bones. Dancing is physically vigorous and requires a great deal of focus and stamina. Constant rehearsal and performance takes a toll on muscles, joints and bones. In order for dancers to perform at their best, it is very important that they are well fueled. A balance of nutrients will not only improve energy, concentration and focus, but also will also assist in injury and fatigue prevention and promote longevity within the dance industry


'As a dancer, to perform at your best you need to have the right amount of  fuel on board for classes, rehearsals and performance'
(Dance Uk)

Calories


A calorie is simply a measure of energy. In scientific terms energy means 'ability to do work', whether it is energy from the breakdown of food, or energy produced from electricity, heat, light or other sources. We need energy to carry out a vast number of day to day activities, many of which are unaware our bodies are performing. Energy from food is used to:


  • Maintain a steady body temperature
  • Fight infections, maintaining a steady immune system
  • Feed the brain (most important organ)
  • Allow the lungs to take up oxygen whilst breathing
  • DANCE!
Dancing can increase our daily energy requirements by 25-75 %, depending on exercise frequency, intensity and metabolic rate.

Retrieving Energy From Food

Once food enters the stomach the process of digestion commences. Digestive enzymes are minute substances made by the body to break down the food we eat. As food travels through the stomach, the small intestine and large intestine, the body releases enzymes to break down nutrients within the meal. Once this process is complete, the many different nutrients are transported through the intestine wall and into the blood.

Carbohydrates

After digestion, carbohydrates are broken down into glucose. Glucose is then taken up by our cells and stored as glycogen and converted to energy when it is needed. A dancers diet should typically be 55-60% carbohydrate. During intense training and rehearsal, carbohydrate should be increased to make up 65% of all calories consumed. The reason is that carbohydrate is the major energy source in muscles. Ingested carbohydrate is broken down into simple sugars (glucose) in the digestive tract then stored in muscle in the form of glycogen, the primary fuel for energy production. Dancers who do not ingest sufficient carbohydrate in their diet will compromise their ability to train because of low muscle glycogen levels. They may feel more fatigued during classes and rehearsals. To ensure consuming the right amount of carbohydrates, base each meal and snack around a source of carbohydrate (aim to fill a third of your plate with a carbohydrate-rich food such as rice, pasta, potatoes, couscous)

The Importance of Carbohydrates

For a dancer, carbohydrate is not only a source of energy. It also has a very important role as a nutrient, because it:


  • helps to burn fat when exercising 
  • prevents the body from using protein from muscle
  • provides a host of B vitamins that boost metabolism
  • prevents fatigue and heavy, tired muscles
  • prevents injury caused by exhausted muscles and vulnerable joints, ligaments and bones

Why Does Carbohydrate Help to Burn Fat?

If we eat sufficient amounts of carbohydrate before dancing, glycogen levels are topped up, and out muscles then use glycogen and fat for energy. If we have not eaten enough carbohydrate, the body runs low on glycogen, and it finds it much harder to burn fat. Muscles will be forced to use another source of energy - Protein.

Unlike the situation with fat and carbohydrates, we do not have extra stores of protein. Although small amounts of protein are used for energy during exercise, three times more protein is used when glycogen levels are low. Losing muscle not only results in loss of strength and stamina, but also reduces the metabolic rate. Far more calories are needed to maintain muscle than to maintain far, therefore if we have less muscle, we need fewer calories.

Preparation For Exercise

To be fully prepared for a dance class or performance, making sure that muscle glycogen levels are topped up is incredibly important. That means basing a meal on a carbohydrate. The following meal and snack ideas are good sources of carbohydrate and are naturally low in fat.:

  • Wholegrain cereal (e.g. Weetabix, bran or wheat flakes, muesli)
  • Porridge with a handful of raisins
  • Sandwich/bagel/pitta/roll/wrap filled with sliced chicken, fish, egg or quorn (using low fat cream cheese instead of butter)
  • Jacket potato with beans/tuna and tomato sauce/chicken/cream or cottage cheese
  • Pasta in tomato sauce and grated low fat cheese and vegetables
  • Prawn/chicken/tofu/quorn stir-fry with vegetables and noodles or rice (with low fat dressing or sauce)

Fat

Fat from the diet provides structure for all cell membranes, comprises the insulating layer around nerves, forms the base of many hormones, is needed for the absorption of fat soluble vitamins, and is an important fuel for muscles.

The estimated grams of fat in the diet are about 1.2 gm per kilogram of body weight. Because ingestion of high amounts of saturated fats is associated with chronic disease, the recommended amount of saturated fat in the diet should be less than 10%. Muscle and adipose (fat) tissue store fat in the form of triglycerides. During exercise, triglycerides are broken down into fatty acids which are metabolized to produce energy for muscle contraction. Fatty acids are used as an energy source in the muscle for endurance activities such as during a long rehearsal where the body is continuously exercising for over 20 minutes at a time. 

Why Do We Need Fats in Our Diets

Here are just a few ways in which fat contributes to the running of the body. It:


  • Promotes flexible joints
  • Encourages good muscle tone
  • Supplies energy for working muscles
  • Provides an important structure/scaffold for the brain
  • Helps the body absorb vitamins and antioxidants
  • Helps to make vital hormones
  • Contributes to a healthy immune system
  • Maintains healthy skin and hair
Types of Fat

The two types of fat in the diet are termed SATURATED and UNSATURATED. Unsaturated fats are divided into two groups, MONOUNSATURATED AND POLYUNSATURATED, and both are considered healthy choices. Saturated fats should be limited within the diet.

A diet too low in fat can have serious health consequences and ultimately can impair performance.  The best sources of fat comes from monounsaturated and polyunsaturated sources including oils (olive, canola, sunflower), nuts (almonds, walnuts, macadamia, pecans), avocado, fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sardines) and olives.

The good sources of fats are crucial if a dancer wants to succeed as a performer. It is the type of fat we eat that is particularly important, as each has a different purpose. 'Good' fats and 'bad' fats are terms often used to distinguish between fats that are important and fats that should be consumed in small quantities.

Why Should I Watch The Amount of Fat I Have In My Diet?

Dietary fat is the most energy dense of the three main nutrients. It has over twice the number of calories per gram as protein and carbohydrate do. Its not necessarily the case that fat in the diet turns to fat within the body. Excessive amounts of any of the three main nutrients can lead to fat being stored in the body. Quite simply, extra calories are stored as fat, as that is how the body saves the energy it doesn't need straight away.

Problems With a Low Fat Diet

Very low diets can lead to nutritional deficiencies and imbalances. The detrimental effects associated with such diets include:


  • Dull, flaky skin (e.g. eczema)
  • Cold extremities (fingers and toes) as body is trying to preserve heat
  • Hormone imbalance, loss of menstruation
  • Lowered immune system
  • Greater risk of injury
  • Slower recovery from injury
  • Risk of brittle bones 

Protein

We can compare the structure of protein that of carbohydrate. Rather than being made up of lots of small molecules, protein is made up of a long chain of AMINO ACIDS.



During digestion, protein is broken down into amino acids by digestive enzymes. Amino acids supplied through the diet are then reassembled into various proteins, depending on what the body needs.

It has been well documented that dancers require more dietary protein than the general population does. Not only do dancers have a greater percentage of lean muscle that needs to be maintained, but dancing increases the speed with which your muscle is broken down and rebuilt. Your individual protein requirements depend on the type of training you undertake, how intense it is and what you are aiming to achieve.

Adequate protein ingestion is essential for all dancers who are training. For those dancers who are not building muscle, protein is needed to repair the breakdown of muscle fibers that are stressed by constant use. Protein is also used as an auxiliary fuel, and it is important for synthesizing the many enzymes necessary for metabolism. The estimated protein need is 1.4-1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. 

Examples of High Protein Foods


  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Red meat
  • Eggs 
  • Dairy products
  • Soya Products

Importance of Consuming Protein After Exersize


During a class or performance, your muscles work incredibly hard not only to support the movement of the skeletal bones during challenging dance sequences, but also to protect your bones from injury and continually improve your technique, skill and poise. 

Therefore the best time to refuel tired muscles is within 2 hours after training. By combining protein and carbohydrate in a meal or snack after training, you will be promoting good muscle definition and tone, whilst keeping muscle glycogen levels at an optimal level.

Is Too Much Protein Harmful?

Eating more protein than you need to will not offer any benefit in health or performance. Additional protein cannot be converted into muscle or increase stamina or strength. Your body is able to use a certain amount of protein each day to build and maintain muscles.

Previous thinking assumed that excess protein was damaging to the liver and kidneys. It was also thought that too much protein caused the body to excrete large amounts of calcium, an important mineral necessary for strong bones. In healthy people, however, this theory has not been demonstrated, and therefore eating too much protein is unlikely to be harmful.

Micro-nutrients


While carbohydrate, protein and fat are referred top as MACRO-NUTRIENTS, vitamins and minerals are classified as MICRO-NUTRIENTS as only very small amounts are needed in comparison to macro-nutrients.

Vitamins and minerals are found in minute quantities in the foods we eat. Yet despite there size, they are imperative to the dancer. Without them, the body's chemistry would just not work.

Imagine a tap shoe without a metal tap, classical ballet without a tutu, a performance without a curtain or a costume without the shimmering crystals. That is how vitals this food group is to a performer.

Vitamins & Minerals Important For the Dancer

Vitamin C -






Require for growth and repair of tissues in all parts of the body. Its is needed to for COLLAGEN, an important protein used to make skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments and blood vessels. It is vital for the healing of wounds, and for the maintenance and repair of cartilage, bones and teeth. 





Found in:
  • All fruits and vegetables (especially citrus fruits, tomatoes, broccoli and sweet and white potatoes e.g.)
B Vitamins -






The B vitamins work together to provide many health benefits to the dancer such as supporting and increasing the rate of metabolism, breaking down carbohydrates, protein and fats from food, maintaining healthy skin and hair and maintaining good muscle tone.





Found in:
  • Potatoes
  • Bananas
  • lentils
  • Wholemeal bread
Iron -



Is a mineral found in every blood cell. Iron helps the body make red blood cells, which transports oxygen to working muscles. Dancers who arr more likely to be iron defficient include those experiencing heavy periods, dancers who restrict their calorie intake, or thoses avoiding read meat.



Found in:
  • Liver
  • Red Meat
  • Beans 
  • Nuts 
  • Dried Fruits
  • Wholegrain
  • Leafy Vegetables (kale, spinach, watercress)
Calcium



Teeth and bones contain the most calcium, with the rest found in nerve cells, body tissues and blood. Calcium helps muscles, including the heart, to contract and relex during dance and supersize, and reduces the risk of developing OSTEOPOROSIS (thinning bones). Osteoporosis is alarmingly common in dancers and can hinder a promising career.

Found in:
  • Milk
  • Yoghurt
  • Cheese
  • Broccoli
  • Spinach
  • nuts
  • sardines
Zinc



Zinc helps the body produce new enzymes and cells, helps metabolise carbohydrates, fat and proteins within food and also play a vital role in maintaining a healthy immune system and healing wounds. Zinc is important for the working of many of the body's systems and is particularly helpful for healthy skin and resistance to infection.


Found in:
  • Meat
  • Shellfish
  • Beans and Lentils
  • Nuts and Seeds
  • Wholegrain Cereals 























4 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany
    How are you finding module 2? This is a really interesting topic you have chosen and certainly one that will benefit many. It is an aspect of my professinalo career that i could certainly focus more on. I tend too not eat properly and lose weight when I am really busy. At Christmas i performed 61 shows in 5 weeks and hardly ate a thing. I became quite Ill as you can imagine. This had a really negative effect on my performance. Have you looked into the correlation between level of performance and nutrition? This could also be really helpful for students and also professionals who worry about weight. There is a lot of pressure too look good in our industry and I some times think people sacrifice their health to look good. If you have any questions I would be more than happy too help. I would also really like you too join my SIG I would benefit greatly from any comments regarding my potential lines of inquiry at this point.

    Thanks Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura!
    I am enjoying Module so far! I have been researching and exploring different topics that interest me within my industry, then investigating further by reading allot of different sources and literature. Even though I have enjoyed the 'research' aspect of this module, I did find that I got caught up on finding a question to base my Inquiry upon rather than how to plan or structure my Inquiry.

    Were you aware of your eating habits whilst doing the contract or did you identify this upon reflection? I completely understand how hard it is to keep up with eating regularly and well during hectic contracts!

    This is a question that I would love to investigate as I have decided to base my Inquiry upon nutrition and well-being of performers instead of just dancers.Shows that are currently shown within the West End at the moment vary from Phantom of the Opera, involving high impact dancing and exersize, to Les Miserable, involving movement/acting based dance.

    I definitely agree that students are putting their nutrition and well-being at risk just to obtain the 'slim' stereotypical figure. I was definitely one of those students whilst in training! However when I started my first contract in the West End I realised that I needed to eat more healthier fats (nuts, avocado, eggs, meats), carbs and protein to keep energised throughout 2 shows a day. If I would have stuck to my original restricted, limited diet I would have not have lasted the entire contract.

    I have a Questionnaire blog on my Blogspot with multiple questions regarding my Inquiry topic. If you could complete as many questions as you can that would being brilliant. I would be more than happy to join your SIG Group and will view your blogspot to read about your lines of Inquiry!

    Many Thanks,

    Bethany xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply Bethany,, defining and Developing the questions is the part i am finding hardest too. I'm still unsureof what exactly I wish too find out. I am focusing on 'the transition from musical theatre actress too straight actress ? Are you an actress? I would love you too too read my developed questions blog and also join my SIG ,, I feel we could really help each other. I am currently looking into the methods I could use on my inquiry. I have been very busy performing and have been extremely pushed for time this module I do not know how I have managed too get anything done. I still feel slightly stressed as my questions are not final. I have not had a chance too review my literature just yet as I have been so busy and did not want too rush this aspect of the module. I plan on doing the reviews tomorrow after my matinee performance. Have you begun drafting your plan yet ? Did you reach a final decision on your questions ? If so I'm interested too know of any methods you used which could also benefit me at this stage. I realised I was losing weight half way through the contract as my costume was all of a sudden falling off me! I did try to change my eating habits however I was quite unwell with a chest infection and felt really stressed leaving my with very little appetite. I actually suffer from coeliac so eating on the go isn't easy. I have learnt from my experience and have made a conscious effort too eat healthily and prepare meals too take too the theatre with me as I doing 13 hours days as well as doing my BAPP work. I would be more than happy too fill in your questionaire, also here is my email address if you wish too discuss further lauragregory@hotmail.co.uk

    I am also free too Skype most evenings this week.

    Thanks Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an incredibly difficult part of the Inquiry Research and Planning, especially if your topic is very broad!

    Yes I am an actress as well as a dancer and singer. I graduated from my Performing Arts College last year! I would love to help within your Inquiry, how do I go about entering your SIG Group?

    I have commented on your blog regarding Inquiry questions, and I believe that the subject of comparing method acting and other techniques is very interesting. I would love to discuss this topic with you as I have studied various acting techniques throughout college and find 'method' acting particularly fascinating. Also looking at how these techniques can affect an actor/actresses personal life and lifestyle would be incredibly resourceful.

    During a Skype session I had a week 1/2 ago, I felt completely the same, as I was focusing on the question and not the planning! However after the Skype session I realised that as long as I have a topic that I wish to research and a selection of Inquiry Questions, I will be able to identify, through researching, what specific subjects I actually want to focus on.

    I have drafted my Forms and finishing publishing my Reader 6 Overview, then I will start to draft my Inquiry plan. I don't think I have refined to one question yet, however I know what specific areas I wish to explore. Now it is just a case of creating a question or statement which will include or interlink these aspects.

    It really is an eye opener, how a hectic timetable can have a huge impact on how frequent you eat and how pro-active we have to be, as performers, to meal prep and try to find gaps within the day to get the nutrients we need to reach our maximum performance!

    Would it be easier if I email you my questionnaire? Thank you so much for your help! Are you free any evenings next week? Would love to chat with you about my Inquiry and your experiences. I would also be willing to answer and give my views upon any of your Inquiry Questions :)

    Many Thanks,

    Beth x

    ReplyDelete