Wednesday 6 April 2016

Module 2: Blog SIG Student Research Feedback / Orthorexia

Module 2:
Blog SIG Student Research Feedback / Orthorexia

Megan Louch , fellow student kindly responded to one of my blogs relating to the effects of poor eating. Her thoughts were very helpful and have made me think about how too much knowledge about certain food types can provoke an adverse effect. This response also broadened my knowledge of terminology as I had not heard of the word orthorexia. You can view Megan's comment via my blog:

Module 2: LITERATURE & RESEARCH / Effects of poor diet for a dancer


Upon further investigation of this terminology I discovered the following: 


What is Orthorexia?

Orthorexia - an unhealthy fixation on eating only healthy or 'pure' foods was originally defined as a disordered eating behavior in the 90s, but experts believe it has been gaining steam in recent years, fed by the large quantity of foods marketed as healthy and organic, and by the media's often conflicting dietary advice. Like anorexia nervosa, orthorexia is a disorder rooted in food restriction. Unlike anorexia, for othorexics, the quality instead of the quantity of food is severely restricted.
'Orthorexia starts out with a true intention of wanting to be healthier, but it's taken to an extreme'
,says former Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Spokesperson Marjorie Nolan, who specializes in working with eating disorder clients. 
'If someone is orthorexic, they typically avoid anything processed, like white flour or sugar. A food is virtually untouchable unless it's certified organic or a whole food. Even something like whole-grain bread - which is a very healthy, high-fiber food - is off limits because it's been processed in some way.'
Orthorexic's typically don't fear being fat in the way that an anorexic would, but the obsessive and progressive nature of the disorder is similar. Orthorexics may eliminate entire groups of food such as dairy or grains from their diets, later eliminating another group of food, and another, all in the quest for a 'perfect' clean, healthy diet. In severe cases, orthorexia eventually leads to malnourishment when critical nutrients are eliminated from the diet.

An Isolating Disorder

Sharing a meal is one of the key ways we socialize and bond in society. But for people suffering from orthorexia, a family meal can seem like a minefield. Eating food that they don't consider pure, or that someone else has prepared, causes an extreme amount of anxiety for orthorexics. 
'If someone is experiencing a lot of anxiety around food because they're not eating what they think they should be, or the amount they should be, that could be a sign of orthorexia' says Nolan.
Someone suffering from orthorexia likely doesn't enjoy food in the same way that someone with a healthy relationship to food does. Rather, orthorexics feel virtuous when they eat the foods they consider to be good or safe, while deviating from their self-imposed extreme diet restrictions causes anxiety and self-loathing.

The Road to Recovery

Orthorexia is a serious disordered eating pattern that can have grave mental and physical health consequences, and people suffering from it need professional help. 
'If you think someone is orthorexic, recommend that the person see a therapist, even just for a one-time consult. Don't just say, 'You need to go to therapy.' Instead say, 'Why don't you talk to someone just to see if this is normal'
(Nolan, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Spokesperson)
Orthorexics often harbor misunderstandings about food or nutrition.
'People with eating disorders know a lot about food, and food science. But they don't always have accurate information. Sometimes their sources are magazines and blogs that might not be reputable.'
Nolan uses the science-based training she has as a registered dietitian to help dispel incorrect beliefs orthorexics may have about what a healthy diet looks like. 
'I always ask clients to think about what they're missing out on because they choose to eat this way all the time. It can be very isolating.'

Upon reflection of my 3 Years Professional Training I have experienced first hand how clean eating can be extremely obsessive. Throughout my first year I majorly restricted my diet, only eating Vegetables, Fruit, Chicken and Tuna, as I classed these foods as 'Safety Foods'. I knew that by eating these foods I would be consuming organic, whole foods that contained a very low fat content. This resulted in me losing allot of weight. 
The Word 'FAT' was a red, negative word in my eyes as I classed every form of fat bad for me and that I would automatically put on weight if I consumed it. Going to restaurants with family and friends proved to be a big struggle as I felt anxious regarding:
  • how much oil my food was cooked in?
  • how many calories does this meal contain?
  • This dessert is way to fattening ill have a coffee!
  • what does that sauce have in it?
I would get upset as I wanted to enjoy food and dining out however my brain obsessed with my incredibly restricted diet. I viewed the process of eating as a way of staying as slim as possible to hopefully create a more aesthetically pleasing performer.
Whilst reading this source based upon Orthorexia I now have come to terms that I suffered from this eating disorder throughout college. Upon graduation I have been making gradual progress to alter my eating habits and I now feel like I can enjoy food in moderation. Of I still have certain traits of my old eating habits for example calorie counting or excess fat content but I am now trying different foods and am not feeling guilty about treating myself every once and a while.

How does this source relate to my Inquiry Topic and my overall understanding?
This source has been very beneficial to read as I was unaware of his specific type of disorder. I obviously knew that Anorexia and Bulimia are common within my industry however its incredibly interesting and eye opening to explore even more 'eating related' disorders provoked by my profession and also media and publicity. 
I have recently seen a huge range of blogs and links regarding 'clean eating', 'superfoods' and eating 'DO's and DONT'S'. Whilst browsing social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter my profile and 'news feed' is frequently bombarded with links such as:
  • 'The Top 10 Superfoods'
  • 'Best Foods To Eat Before A Workout'
  • 'Foods To Avoid For Weight Loss'
  • 'Foods To Eat To Get That Summer Body'
  • '10 Health Foods That are Proven To Be Unhealthy'
From time to time I do view these links as I am sometimes very intrigued by the blog Title as I am interested in different food trends and fact/statements, however I do wonder where these websites/links seek there findings. To view examples of these media links/blogs a common websites used within social media are:
womenshealthmag.co.uk
Buzzfeed.com
Pinterest.com
Within modern day the web is the most commonly used source to advertise data and information, however there are frequent cases where the information provided it biased or incorrect! This matter does concern me as readers may view an unreliable link/source, thus feeding them the wrong information. As a performer, within the long term this could effect our body or career, especially with the large range of health and nutrition blogs within media!
False or unreliable sources can also resort to a combination of eating disorders such as Anorexia, Bulimia and Orthorexia as some readers may take on board these health links literally and obsessively.
I am aware that this methods and sources within the media, expands the readers knowledge with regards to nutrition and food however I always relate back to the question, 
IS THE MEDIA BENEFITTING OR BRAINWASHING THE PUBLIC WITH REGARDS TO FOOD AND NUTRITION?









No comments:

Post a Comment