Tuesday 15 March 2016

Module 2: Reflection / Skype Session 15/03/2016, Led by Paula Nottingham

Module 2: Skype Session: 15/03/2016
Progress on Proposal / Ethical Consideration
Session led by: Paula Nottingham

What I wished to gain from this Skype Session?

Prior to this afternoon’s Skype session, I hadn’t read or analysed ‘Reader 5’, and wanted to gain knowledge from other students and Paula with regards to the  objectives of the source. These opinions and views will give me a great insight into ‘Reader 5’ before I analyse the source further.

After my previous Skype session (01/03/2016) with Adesola, I have researched and collated a variety of sources (Articles, Blogs, Books, Middlesex Unihub (My Learning), Online Conferences and the Web).  I have now sectioned my findings into these sub-headings:

  • ·         Food Facts
  • ·         Mind over Matter
  • ·         Wellbeing of a Performer
  • ·         Media & Technology
  • ·         My Industry

This method was a great tool to organise my research and finely select sources that would benefit my Inquiry. Throughout this Skype session I wished to gain new opinions of my Inquiry Topic from my Tutor and other students participating within the session.

What did we discuss within the session?

Within this afternoon’s Skype session Paula highlighted the importance of ‘Reader 5: Professional Ethics’, identifying that it is an essential topic to explore whilst gathering literature and predominantly whilst creating our SIG Groups or interviews. Paula specifically advised us to read Page 20 of ‘Reader 5’, as planning the Ethical Considerations for our Professional Inquiry must be completed as part of our Inquiry Plan and in the Ethics Form in Module 2.

Paula made a very useful point with regards to who we should consider to interview or source information from:

‘Try not to always interview or talk to friends, as they may give a biased opinion or give you the answers you wish to hear. Within your Practitioner research, co-operate with someone who can give you honest, new knowledge. Use them as a useful source.’

We highlighted the importance of composing an introduction cover letter/invitation to send to participants who we will be interviewing. This plays a vital part within Professional Ethics.
Following on from Professional Ethics Paula spoke about writing our Proposal. We discussed one of the main questions which was:

HAVE YOU CHOSEN A TOPIC OR NARROWED IT DOWN?

What is a Proposal?

A Proposal incorporates practitioner research but also any outcomes you wish to get out of doing the Inquiry.

Paula also identified the multiple of methods to create discussions:

  • ·         Blogs
  • ·         FB
  • ·         LinkedIn
  • ·         Face to Face
  • ·         Chat Rooms

Another predominant focus within the session was SOURCES, and the importance of exploring other Practitioner’s Research. What have other people done?  How have they planned this? Another participant within the session, discussed that she was unable to view specific articles online as she had to purchase the source. Paula then suggested a brilliant source to explore called, SUMMON, which can be found on the ‘My Studies’ page on our Uni-Hub Profile. Summon works like a ‘google’ web page, if you search any key words e.g. Dancer/Nutrition a number of different articles, books and related information will be shown. Throughout the next couple of weeks I will definitely be using this source to gather new literature.

Paula shared that she tends to view Summon like ‘Online Shopping’, as you can view a variety of literature and select any information that you find valid or useful within your Professional Inquiry.


Throughout the next week I wish to explore and analyse ‘Reader 5: Professional Ethics’, and begin to compose a rough draft of my Proposal and Ethics Form.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this Bethany. I was unable to join the session due to the time difference where I am living. This gave me a great overview of what was discussed and has really helped me so thank you. I am definitely going to start using Summon!

    ReplyDelete