Friday 19 February 2016

Module 2: Task 4: Discussions & Inquiry Short-list

Module 2: Task 4
Discussion & Inquiry Short-List

Before deciding upon a topic for my Personal Inquiry I looked back at Task 2d to find some inspiration for my chosen subject. I have come up with a short list and would welcome any feedback from my fellow students and tutors, a few topics have been taken from the subjects raised in Task 2d.
  1. Do performers have to compromise when it comes to relationships and quality time with their families? It is extremely difficult to juggle social and family life when potentially a performer's income is unpredictable and they may have to work away for long periods of time.
  2. Tax/Self employed matters are we taught how to mange our financial affairs after graduation? Should colleges spend longer in explaining how to manage our accounts? What can we claim tax relief on ? How can we complete our own self assessment forms ?
  3. Why do we experience audition nerves and how can we combat these? 
  4. How diverse dies a performer need to be? Pathways for performers after injuries 'The double life of a performer' What are our options? Teaching within the arts or alternative Performing Arts pathways such as voice overs, TV, Commercial or Film Work
  5. How can a MT  (Musical Theatre) performer diversify into acting, TV and commercial work? 
  6. DADA scholarship/funding, Should there be more available within Professional Colleges? Are the current funding regulations fare to everyone?
  7. The diet and  nutrition of a performer: Are most performers conscious about what they eat and does this impact their performance and general well-being? Can poor diet have a detrimental effect on our bodies and ability to reach our maximum potential? 
16TH FEB 2016 
Skype Session with Paula

I have always been intrigued as to how we all cope with audition/interview nerves and initially thought that I would base my professional inquiry upon this subject. I aimed to try and collect information about how other people cope within stressful situations and what methods they use to combat these emotions. With Paula I discussed how possibly I could explore this subject both inside and outside of my practice. Potentially this was going to be my subject matter.
18 TH FEB 2016 
Skype Session with Adesola


Before my Skype session with Adesola I briefly mentioned that I had potentially chosen the theme for my Professional Inquiry (how to combat audition nerves). Adesola agreed that this was potentially a good subject to explore but highlighted the question as to how it would help me develop within my own practice? I had thought that through analysing data and other's experiences I may gain new techniques that I could apply to my ongoing auditions.

The question that I put to myself was: Do I get nervous in auditions and do these nerves effect my performance in a detrimental way? 

Giving a truly honest answer based upon all of my auditions since graduation my answer was:

No, I actually enjoy auditioning and genuinely find it very inspirational and motivating. All of the auditions that I have attended have been extremely beneficial to me in different ways, be it learning new techniques or networking (showcasing my ability in front of casting directors).

Reflecting upon my response to the above question with Adesola, it was clear that maybe this line of inquiry would not be the best one for me to extend my practice. I discussed with Adesola the other subject on my short list and she gave me some excellent advice. She suggested that I spend a small amount of time researching a little into a few subjects and which ever I found most interesting and felt would extent my practice within the Performing Arts Industry I should pursue.
I am currently in the process of doing this!

3 comments:

  1. Found this post really interesting and the question that really spoke out to me was number 2 and 4. At my college we received one class on tax - not enough!! I have always thought that within the college timetable there should be a business class once a week. For example, how many students will eventually go on to open their own dance school and classes? And you need that business head to do that! I understand that colleges are essentially preparing you for auditioning but the majority of students will benefit from teaching experience (as its great money in between performing jobs) and business skills ( as we all need to be clear on tax)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you become more clear on what you want to focus on yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophie,

    Thank you for your reply,

    Throughout the process of brainstorming different inquiry ideas, I have identified so many issues that not only have or will effect myself but other students and professionals e.g. Tax! Upon reflection I have realised that my training has given me a multiple of positive and negative topics and issues that could be improved for the next generation and also for current professionals who wish to develop within their field.

    I have not specifically found my final Inquiry question, but I am in the process of experimenting and exploring a combination of topics to see what really interests me and will benefit me the most within the industry

    ReplyDelete